Dan and Alice's Marvellous Musings

Sunday, January 28, 2007

First Seeds Sown!



The first seeds have been sown! I have taken the (perhaps) controversial step of sowing directly into homemade paper pots. The idea of this is to save me transplanting them later, which I find a bit fiddley. Also making the pots was fun...
This does create a bit of a problem in the question of how many seeds to sow in each pot. One thing that I have learned however, is that foxglove seeds may well be the smallest things ever invented. So I just went for getting at least 1 in each pot. Bigger seeds were easier. I know you should probably put several in each one, as some won't germinate, but it seems such a waste! So I will keep track of the percentage that germinate, and next year I will have a better idea.

Sown today:
Foxglove 'candy mountain'
Foxglove 'pam's choice'
Lobelia 'cambridge blue'
Cineraria 'silver dust'
Dianthus superbus 'crimsonia'
Antirrhinum 'night and day'

The bigger pots will have sweet peas in them tomorrow; I didn't realise that you have to soak them for 24 hours before sowing them. These are all random seeds that I bought from Wilkos because they were 75% off and I liked the pictures on the packets. Since we have a completely empty garden I reckoned that trial and error is a good way to go forward. The plan is to sow seeds every week or so, so that they are a bit staggered. Not sure if that will work but we will see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home