Dan and Alice's Marvellous Musings

Sunday, June 19, 2005

New Forest

For the last week (up to Thursday) we have been away on holiday in the New Forest. We were staying in my parents' excellent tent in a forestry comission camp site at Ashurst. It is set just off a wood and has reasonable facilities so it was perfect. I must say that I do love camping and the outdoor life, sitting outside and just appreciating nature. The weather was generally excellant and I even managed to get a tan out of it. Of course, it rained when we were taking down the tent, but thankfully the parents were fine to put it up to dry when the weather got better ... like this weekend!

Staying in a campsite next to a wood does have its downsides. For us it was the dastardly squirrels which we had a constant battle with. Invariably I got woken up at 5am by them scurrying around our food and they soon learnt that when I banged around a bit it was not a threat because I could not be arsed to get up! In particular they seemed to be driven crazy by the prospect of banana bread and hot chocolate. The squirrels managed to eat through the plastic jar of hot chocolate but did not seemed to like the taste! Other items damaged were a carton of orange juice and the container with the banana bread in (bite and scratch marks a plenty). So I would say we won the battle with the squirrels but a taste they did not enjoy.

It was a relaxing holiday with a lot of reading, walking and one day of cycling. The cycling was great but it made me realise just quite how unfit I am at the moment.

We will stick up some photos at some point including some cute pictures of a one day old donkey on our campsite.

Alice might add some stuff later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home