Dan and Alice's Marvellous Musings

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Background

Just thought I would fill everyone in on where we are at at the moment. I (Dan) am 27 and Alice is 27 too. We have now been married for nearly 5 years.

We are both PhD students. Alice is doing a PhD in Chemistry and is nearly ... so close ... to finishing. The title of her thesis is "Studies Toward the Syntheses of SNF4435C and D, CJ-12662, and Semi-Synthetic Studies Toward the Stereochemical Assignment of Paeciloxazine". She has got her viva in a few weeks and is then scotch free. No job lined up as yet, but everything will work out I am sure. So currently Alice is trying to revise at home, revision for the first time in 5 years ... nice. I am doing a PhD in Mathematical/Computational Biology (I know strange combination but it is the future I promise you) and hopefully will finish in October, well that is when my funding runs out. My title is "Modelling the p53 Gene Regulatory Network" which doesn't really explain what I do, but is close enough. I am a bit of a geek and sit in front of a computer for the majority of the day.

We live in a small second floor flat in Bermondsey, London. It is very wee, well the kitchen and bathroom are, but I really love it. We have no where near enough storage space for our rubbish, but I have a theory that the guff expands to fill any space. Even though we have been living here for 3 and a half years we have only just finished painting every room and still haven't done the woodwork. Bermondsey is a fine place to live, even though it is a very deprived area. It is mainly council estates and extremely posh flats with a few georgian houses sprinkled around. It is very close to the centre of town which is great but buses are the main public transport. Not that buses are bad, definitely better than the tube in the summer. My favourite bus ... the No. 1 ... is the one I take to work every single day.

Right ... enough for now. I will try to keep this blog up to date with news. If you want computer geekdom and random rants then check out my personal blog, but that does not say much about what I'm doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home